Problems Versus Promises...Where is Your Focus?

Everywhere you look there's a problem. If its not your problem its someone elses or a problem in the world. We cant escape them. I'm sure you are familiar with the saying "if it aint one thing its another". That couldn't be more true. Some of us if we woke up without a problem, we probably wouldn't know how to act.
Now I'm not saying we just love a good mishap or malfunction in our day, I'm saying we grow accustomed to letting problems define who we are and how we live. How we handle problems effects our relationships with others and our state of mind. Some of us carry problems for years, never growing through them and we continue to handle them the same way. I challenge you on today to tackle the weight of your problems through the promises of God. God's promises are an escape and can lead to a newer way of looking at what you face in life to give you peace and understanding.
As I sat down to write this I thought about my sons' younger years.  As a child's communication and development grows, your conversations with your child change. When he was 3, when interacting with him, we started introducing promises which he wasn't really understanding. I can vividly recall my husband and I in an effort to calm him in a sticky situation using some of his favorite things, songs, movies, even activities. Depending on how riled up he was, it was not really working...he was 3 lol. Now with an older child, they can understand "a promise". As parents we make promises all the time. "Yes we have to leave the park because its getting dark, but I promise we will come back soon". Sounds good right? Only if you understand the premise of a promise and you have the belief.
Do you believe God's promises are bigger than your problems? God promises he has a plan for us; to prosper us and not fail us (Jeremiah 29:11) and God promises those that listen to him will live in peace, untroubled by fear and harm (Proverbs 1:33). I could go on and on. God's promises are rich and true and we find and discover what they mean in our lives by studying his word, believing it, applying it and never giving up.
Growing in God is an active pursuit of mine. I seek to know his word as a guide and comfort. Just like a  promise to a child doesn't make the situation instantly ok, the belief in a valid promise gives hope, settles discomfort, and can produce a smile. My 13 year old loves to play outside, absolutely loves it. Calling him in because he didn't finish his chores produces a slight frown. However, because he's allowed back out when he's done, me telling him "I promise you can go back when you're done" eases his mind just a little and he's able to move forward.
Some of us have been stuck with a problem for what seems like forever. It has us acting funky at work, mean to our spouses, and we aren't so great to ourselves either. We stress eat, feel we don't deserve better, and we beat ourselves up. What promises can you discover in God today that will help ease your stress just a little? What problem will you let God turn into a promise that will give you a smile on today and get you back to feeling like the beautiful creation that you are?
I must add, a promise isn't a quick fix. God is a miracle worker and can instantly turn some stuff around IF that's his plan. However, we don't like problems even though they are for our good. God wants us to experience some things so we aren't the same person we were last year. He wants us to grow through things to get to the full potential in his image he had in mind when he made us. Now I'm not saying you wont have a bad day when your car is down. Taking the train and bus might be ok one day and the next day if someone said "Good Morning" you may want to turn around and say "What's so good about it?" Understandable. I beg you not to stay there. When you find yourself on a difficult path, ask God what it is he wants you to learn from it and keep pressing on in HIS strength. Know and believe he's going to bring you out. He promised that to us and not only can God not lie, He can not fail. God is by our side in all our storms.
Read God's word and get to know him. Your belief may be up and down or only strong in some areas. You may be believing God to heal a sick loved one but you may not believe him for the stress in your marriage or on your job.  Stay reading his word and talk to God about your fears. Find a book on God's promises and pray and confide in others who believe with you.
Id like to leave you with an activity. On a piece of paper on one side pick maybe 10 problems and write them down. Now the next part may require some research, reading your bible and conversing with others, but across from the problem write a promise from God that crushes that problem. I pray you feel better afterwards. Share this activity with others.
Be encouraged.

Comments