Praying Through The Hurt In Your Marriage

As I write this I think of all the hurts many people I know have and are currently going through in marriage. I've heard some awful heart breaking stories about experiences and circumstances and at the end of the day no ones hurt is bigger or smaller than anyone else's. Hurt effects every marriage differently. Hurt can break it down, build it up, consume it, or set it on a path to flourish. Hurt can start and then stop and then start back up again. In some marriages hurt can last for years. Hurt comes from different sources in marriage and causes a different story with each one. Financial hurt often bites at marriage as well as adultery, depression, addiction, abandonment, loss of a child, relocation, illness, disease, broken communication and intimacy issues.

Sounds rough right? Some of you reading this post are going through at least one of those trials right now. Your marriage may fall in the category of stress. Some marriages are crippled by stress and stress can turn your household upside down and quickly tear it apart. Often our marriages are plagued by bills piling up stress, schedule stress, managing household needs stress, and don't forget the stress of raising children.You look up and you're barely talking to one another, you've had no time alone or together, you cant remember the last time you had sex and even the dog looks sad.  I believe thats why the bond between a husband and wife needs to be strong and continually strengthened and developed because life will bring all types of uncertainties. Things will happen that can drive you crazy together and eventually apart. It doesnt have to be that way though. 

I love a good inspiring story of a marriage trampled by life and despair that rose from the ashes and is a testimony of God's promises for marriage. That to me is a vivid display of how he can turn something around when you let him in and surrender things to him. There are husbands and wives that will tell you counseling and prayer got them through plenty of rough times in their marriage and they give God all the glory and honor for the growth they've experienced individually and in their union. Even though its not exactly the first thing on your mind, your prayer life can be the strength that carries your marriage through.

Trust me I know, when things are rough, you feel rough and your focus is else where instead of looking to God. Your focus is on what you're feeling or what you're not feeling, what your mate needs to do or not do, what your household needs or don't need. Trouble side tracks us at times because we want to react by taking things into our own hands, running away, and shutting down instead of turning the whole issue over to God.

I challenge you today to become a praying couple and/or that praying spouse through ALL your storms ALL the time. Sometimes we only pray about certain things because we feel we only need God for certain stuff. That couldn't be more wrong because without him we are nothing and that goes for your marriage too. Its a work in progress so don't expect it to happen over night. My marriage is growing and changing and so is yours. Don't give up is what I've been told. Talk to your mate and pray. When you pray completely trust God and believe. 

Comments